- 6.0 Department Training
- Department Manual
- 6.3 Responsibilities of Paraprofessionals in the Copy Cataloging Team
6.3 Responsibilities of Paraprofessionals in the Copy Cataloging Team
- Identify printed monographs in English with full-level LC or member copy and complete call numbers that fit within the scheme of the Lee Library’s collections.
- Identify foreign language monographs in roman script with full-level LC or member copy and call numbers at time of receipt.
- Complete online processing of items that fit in the above categories: transfer the record into the local system, enter appropriate holdings information, barcode and create item records, order cards as needed, issue command for export to RLIN, and deliver to the lettering room.
- Maintain awareness of areas where standard copy or call numbers may need local modification, i.e., subject bibliography, Mormon literature, etc.
- Check items in monographic series to see that treatment follows established practice.
- Identify, sort, and deliver items without full copy or useable call numbers, belonging to series for which treatment has not been established, requiring local modification, or involving other problems requiring cataloger attention to the appropriate cataloger’s shelf.
- Process items to be withdrawn from the library, replacement copies, and volumes or copies to be added to holdings (“add-to-shelf”) as assigned.
- Assist with retrospective conversion and reclassification of older collections as needed.
Maintained by: John Wright
Last Updated: October 2020