- With book in hand, search the book in Unicorn using the Search command.
- Enter the first few words of the title in “Words or Phrases.” It is NOT necessary to enter the entire title, but it is necessary to use complete words. The bottom line is that you should be able to find an acquisitions record.
- DO NOT issue a CREATE ITEM command. There should be a record for this book!
- When you find that record, you will want to see the “ALL” view. Go to the limit button on the button bar and set the “view of records” to ALL. This ALL display will allow you more access points to scrutinize and determine that the online record and book are a match. (We are hoping to get the ALL display to be set as the default).
- If possible, determine if the item is a serial. Serials should NOT be cataloged. Please route them to Virginia Watson.
- Once the copy online and book are verified as the same, YOU WILL NEED TO DETERMINE IF YOU CAN USE THE ACQUISITIONS RECORD OR IF YOU NEED TO FIND A BETTER RECORD. IF THE ACQUISITIONS RECORD IS ACCEPTABLE FOR EDIT, USE IT. IF THE RECORD REQUIRES AN OVERLAY, SET IT ASIDE FOR NOW.
- If you have determined that you can catalog this record, you will want to verify the call number at this point—
- copy the call number from the “LC Call Number”
- stop blocking after the first cutter
- issue a Display1 Item command
- delete the barcode
- tab to call number and paste (or control v) the call number
- insert a $ at the end of your call number to truncate
- Click OK
- verify the call number by searching without spaces between the call
- number elements
- search the call number again by searching with spaces between the call number elements
- If it is determined that the call number is OK, go ahead and write the call number as usual on the TPF and Click CLOSE on the Display1 Item call number search screen.
- Return to the Search Item screen and Click on the top gray bar to turn it blue
- Issue another Display1 ITEM command
- Click OK on the first screen.
- With the Display1 ITEM (screen 2) still showing, verify that the Volume and Copy Info says (IN-PROCESS) and issue an EDIT ITEM command.
- Click OK on the first screen.
- The second screen should say: Copy Info
- At Copy Info new barcode: scan or key in the barcode that will be attached to the book. It would also be a good idea to attach the barcode to the book at this point.
- new copy number: leave as is, defaults to 1
- change copy: leave as is
- type: verify or change to the appropriate Item Type (e.g. BOOK) from the pull-down menu, key in, or leave as is if correct.
- number of pieces: leave as is
- home location: verify the appropriate location where the book will be housed (e.g. LEE-STACKS) –IMPORTANT: If you need to make any changes here, set the book aside and CLOSE your record, DO NOT Click OK.
- current location: this location should match the home location.
- item cat1 (import statistics): select the appropriate import source from the pull-down menu or key in.
- permanent: leave as is (defaults to a check). Remove check only if the item will be housed temporarily.
- item cat2: leave blank
- circulate: leave as is (defaults to a check). Remove check only if the item is NOT intended to circulate
- total charges: leave as is
- price: leave as is
- library: verify the appropriate owning library (e.g. LEE) –IMPORTANT: If you need to make any changes here, set the book aside and CLOSE your record, DO NOT Click OK.
- shadowed copy (hides copy info from public catalog): leave blank. Check the box only if the copy is not to display in the public catalog.
- Scroll down to the Call Number Info
- At Call Number Info new call number: enter in the call number of the work being cataloged. IMPORTANT: Call numbers should be entered with spaces between each significant element of the call number.
- example: PR 2988 .P78 S84 1998
- Supply the correct symbol for the type of classification number used for the item. LC is most commonly used for the books, Juvenile being the exception. Use the pull-down menu or key in.
- library: default is LEE. Verify the appropriate owning library (e.g. Lee) –IMPORTANT: If you need to make any changes here, set the book aside and Close your record, DO NOT Click OK.
- *Especially watch for ML books now going to Music Library NOT Lee*
- shelving key: leave as is
- shadowed call number (hides the call number and the copies attached to it in the public catalog): leave blank. Click on the box if the call number is NOT to display in the public catalog.
- Scroll down to the Title Info
- At Title Info control #: leave as is. DO NOT TOUCH this field!
- record format: default is MARC. Verify or supply the correct format for item being cataloged.
- created by: leave as is
- date cataloged: change to TODAY if you can successfully catalog this record, otherwise leave as NEVER.
- modified: type in your initials.
- shadowed title (hides the entire item from in the public catalog): default is blank. Click on the box only if the entire record is NOT to display in the public catalog.
- Scroll down to the Fixed Fields and Variable Fields. Verify, edit and add the appropriate tags, indicators, ISBD punctuation, etc.
- complete the fixed fields. Use “tab” to move between the fields or the mouse.
- Complete the variable fields as appropriate. (NOTE: In Unicorn Workflows, fields are arranged in the order in which they are added to the screen, NOT in numerical order).
DO NOT REMOVE THE 988 OR 989 FIELDS. THEY INCLUDE MIGRATION INFORMATION WE WANT TO RETAIN FOR HISTORICAL PURPOSES.
To add a new field
- Click in numerical order next to the field to be added. Depending on the field to be added, choose the appropriate helper button from the button bar
To delete a field
NOTE: If you added a field, but choose not to use it after all, the system may give you an error message and you may find that you need to delete it.
To delete information within a field
- Use the Delete Key on the keyboard to delete one character at a time
- Highlight the information to be deleted and use the Delete key on the keyboard.
NOTE: Using Eraser Helper button will clear ALL fields in the bib record. If done accidentally, one can use the Restore Helper button to “undo” the Eraser.
THE LAST TWO steps:
Step 1: After you have looked over your bib record and everything looks ok, be sure to Click on OK. This will reformat your screen display and save the record. If you use the scroll bar on the right and scroll down to the bottom part your screen and you will be able to see how your call number appears in spine label format.
Step 2: Now that your record is perfect, Click on Close. This will close the window. After all of the work you have done, this step is critical and should be done before you step away from your workstation or before you attempt any other command. Please don’t forget to CLOSE!
Good luck, please ask questions. The trainers are: Janet Bradford (music library), Bob Maxwell, Sharolynn Pyeatt, Virginia Watson and Kayla Willey.
Modify Title Wizard:
Call Number and Item Maintenance Wizard:
Maintained by: Jared Howland
Last Updated: September 2002